Dioxide Materials™ is creating a new chemical value chain using carbon dioxide and renewable energy (instead of oil and gas) as a feedstock for the synthesis of high value fuels and chemicals. Dioxide Materials is helping to fight global warming by converting CO2 from a waste product to a valuable commodity. Effective conversion of CO2 to fuels and chemicals has the potential to treat hundreds of millions of tons of CO2 annually, but so far, the process has never been economic. Instead of having CO2 released in the air or pumped in the ground, Dioxide Materials’ cost-effective technology converts waste carbon dioxide from power plants, cement plants, breweries, refineries, etc., with renewable energy as a feedstock that can be used to produce industrial chemicals and fuels while significantly helping to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that lead to global warming.
Dioxide Materials has developed alkaline anion exchange membrane water electrolyzer technology that when combined with non-precious catalysts, provide a more cost- effective platform for water electrolysis, enabling low-cost solutions for the hydrogen economy. Our system runs at low voltage and high density using low-cost, stable materials. This enables much lower levelized production cost than competing electrolyzers. Hydrogen is a versatile chemical that can be used to fuel vehicles directly, or by converted to ammonia or synthetic fuels.
We are also developing a new generation of low-cost, low-powered CO2 electrochemical sensors for Demand Controlled Ventilation (DCV) of Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems. The devices are microscale versions of the CO2 electrolyzers being developed for CO2 conversion. As outlined in the plan below, our technology will create thousands of jobs and will make the U.S. the world leader in the reduction of greenhouse gases.
Advantages of our CO2 electrolyzer technology:
- Reduced CO2 emissions.
- Reduced use of fossil fuels.
- Path to renewable fuels and chemicals.
- Potential to consume millions of tons of CO2
- Allows CO2 “sequestration” where local geology is unsuitable for underground storage.
Advantages of our water electrolyzer technology:
- Rapid turn on and turn off – enables one to replace PEM
- Operates at high currents: : 1 A/cm2 at 1.8-1.9 V
- No need for precious metals
- Path to renewable fuels and chemicals
- Produces carbon-free hydrogen
- Allows for long-term energy storage
- Helps reduce renewable energy curtailment
Advantages of our CO2 sensor technology:
- Dioxide Materials’ sensors can be used as a drop in replacement for incumbent NDIR CO2 sensors.
- Require 3 orders of magnitude less power.
- Much lower cost.
- Easy installation since no special wiring is needed.
- Can run on batteries or solar cells.
- Useful in the retrofit market, where wiring costs preclude the use of incumbent sensors.